Easter Lamb Cake Recipe
Impress your kids with this fun and easy Easter lamb cake. You don’t need a special pan for this cake — only 8″ or 9″ round cake pans. Since the Bible calls Jesus the “lamb” who died for our sins, Easter is the perfect time to discuss the significance of Jesus as the Lamb!
I use a doctored cake mix recipe that makes a very dense cake. Traditional box mix recipes don’t always hold up well for me, so I prefer to use this very dense, sturdy cake. It also happens to be delicious. This recipe will make two lamb cakes.
1 box white cake mix
1 (3 1/2 oz.) box instant vanilla pudding*
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil
4 egg whites
*I add the pudding even if the cake mix already has pudding in it.
Frosting and Decorations:
2 cans white whipped frosting
Large and small marshmallows
Pink small stick gum
Pink jelly beans
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix cake ingredients and beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes (scraping bowl occasionally with a rubber spatula).
3. Pour cake mix into two 8″ or 9″ round pans, and bake for approximately 30 minutes (until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).
4. Once cakes are completely cooled, cut each one in half (so you will have 4 half moons).
Click on the images below to open an enlarged view. Note that the images show a coconut frosting from our bunny cake recipe. My kids preferred marshmallows with canned frosting on our lamb cake.
|Step 1||Step 2||Step 3||Step 4|
5. Frost half of each cake (step 1), then top with the other half (step 2).
6. Turn each cake on its side and cut a small dip in one side (step 3) to form a head and body.
7. Frost the cakes (step 4).
8. To make legs, melt chocolate chips (or melting chocolate in a small bowl). Cut 6 large marshmallows in half lengthwise, and then cut two of them in half again. Place a large piece and a small piece on 4 toothpicks and dip the small piece in chocolate. Place each leg on wax paper and allow to set.
10. To make ears, cut a large marshmallow diagonally. Round the edges of two pieces of gum and place on the sticky side of the marshmallow. Set the ears in place.
10. To make the face, use 2 chocolate chips for eyes and a pink jelly bean for the nose. Melt a little chocolate in a ziploc bag, cut off a tip, and pipe a mouth on to your lamb.
11. Add legs and enjoy your lamb cake!
This page was created by:
Back to main Easter Recipes page.
We welcome your ideas! If you have suggestions on how to improve this page, please contact us.
You may freely use this content if you cite the source and/or link back to this page.